Financial security for you and your family
Life insurance can help protect you and your loved ones financially if something unexpected happens.
What life insurance covers
Different life insurance products are designed to protect you from different events that can occur:
- life cover — pays a lump sum when you die
- total and permanent disability (TPD) insurance — pays a lump sum to help with rehabilitation and living costs
- trauma insurance — covers you if you’re diagnosed with a major illness
- income protection insurance — pays some of your income if you can’t work due to illness or injury
What to check before you buy life insurance
Before buying, renewing or switching insurance, check if the policy will cover you for claims associated with COVID-19.
Before you buy life insurance, by law an insurer must give you a
Check the PDS for:
- what’s covered and what’s excluded under the policy
- what information you’ll need to give an insurer
- information on premiums and how they change over time
- waiting periods before you make a claim
- how to make a claim
- how to complain about the claims process or decision
Also, check whether you already have life insurance through your super. Make sure you’re not paying for insurance twice.